Los Angeles-based Loyola Marymount University officially opened its new library, the William H. Hannon Library, in September. Designed by architecture firm AECOM, the 121,000-square-foot building replaces the Von der Ahe library, which was in use since 1959. The facility, which comprises three above-ground floors and a two-story basement, seeks to blend older architectural styles on its southern side with more modern structures to the north. The basement provides storage for nearly 1.2 million volumes, while upper levels are dedicated to user spaces and services. Among these services and spaces are more than 80 collaborative study rooms and workstations; a reading room; a café and media lounge; and multi-media spaces.
The new facility was designed with a focus on energy efficiency and a small environmental footprint. LEED certification is expected. Among the energy-efficient features are wall-length, floor-to-ceiling windows, a large central skylight and a circular building design that maximize natural light. Interior lighting is programmed to dim in response to the sun’s brightness, reducing energy use, while motion-sensing light switches will monitor lighting in study rooms in relation to occupancy.
The library is the latest project integrating sustainable design techniques on campus and it joins other initiatives including the largest solar electric rooftop system at an American university (with more than 81,000 square feet of solar panels) and three LEED Silver-certified dormitories.