In a recent survey of builders, remodelers, and architects conducted by Green Products and Technology editors and independent research firm Specpan, 58% of the 655 respondents are involved in or have been involved in green building, remodeling, or design.
Of those 58%:
- 59% believe their market’s demand for green-built homes will increase significantly over the next five years.
- 56% favor green building regulations and codes.
- The top three reasons for participating in green building: environmental responsibility (75%), to build better homes (55%), and to be on the leading edge of building trends (49%).
Of the 42% of respondents who have not been involved in green building:
- 51% believe their market’s demand for green-built homes will increase slightly over the next five years.
- The greatest number of respondents (36%) do not favor green building regulations and codes.
Among all respondents:
- The majority believe green building features and components collectively add 10% to 19% to project costs.
- The greatest number of respondents rated customers’ knowledge of green/sustainable building products a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being not at all knowledgeable and 5 being extremely knowledgeable.