What were your most important green-building stories of the year? LEED v4 development? Studies quantifying sustainable return on investment? Wrapping up 2012, we compiled the most-read news stories of 2012 from ECO-STRUCTURE's website. Click through and then comment below on what headlines you'd rather see in the top 10.
- Energy Modeling is Not Just for Engineers
The AIA releases an energy modeling guide to help architects become familiar with evaluating the performance of the buildings that they design
- New Tax Incentives for Green Building
New York passes property tax exemption legislation for LEED-certified projects.
- AIA Announces 2012 COTE Top Ten Green Project
A mix of office buildings, education facilities, and multiple-building plans from the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest take home the majority of the annual honors.
- Biophilic Design Could Save Millions of Dollars
A new white paper shows biophilic design strategies could save $93 million per year in healthcare costs and $247.5 million in lost parental wages in New York City, and increase retail environment profits by $47.5 million.
- Pittsburgh Becomes Third 2030 Eco-District in the U.S.
The city now has 20 years to become carbon neutral.
- USGBC Announces Top 10 States for LEED Buildings
Washington, DC, has the most LEED-certified buildings per capita.
- Zero-Energy Commercial Buildings On the Rise
The number of zero-energy commercial buildings and zero-energy-capable commercial buildings is on the rise in the U.S.
- Global Holcim Award Winners Announced
A secondary school in Burkina Faso, a community center in Brazil, and an urban renewal plan in Germany take top honors.
- USA Today vs. USGBC
The national newspaper and the green-building giant go back and forth on the value and integrity of LEED and green building.
- 10 Hot Product Finds from Greenbuild
New market introductions from the biggest green-building show of the year make for big news.