Stockland, a large Australian property group, made history this week in green building by becoming the first company in the nation to sell green bonds. The bonds will fund environmentally sustainable building projects required to achieve a minimum of a four star Green Star rating from the Green Building Council Australia.
According to the article from Infolink, research has concluded that, on average, buildings with 4 Star Green Star ratings:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 40 percent compared to typical new construction projects.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 60 percent in building performance compared to existing buildings.
- Reduce water use up to 43 percent.
- Lower energy use by up to 40 percent compared to typical new buildings.
- Recycle up to 85 percent of construction and demolition waste.
Read more about the new green bonds from Stockland from Infolink.