Do you live in one of America's happiest towns? Movoto set out to identify the top 50 "joy-inducing" small towns in America (out of a pool of places with a population between 40,000 and 61,000).
Any location that did not have data available for the various metrics Movoto compiled was omitted from consideration, leaving 391 places to rank. Once the data for every location was compiled, Movoto averaged each ranking into one "Big Deal Score," with the lowest scores determining the top locations. These seven metrics were examined:
- Stress factors (unemployment rate, commute time, cost of living)
- Safety (violent crime rate per 100,000 people)
- Income (percentage of residents earning more than $25,000 / year)
- Marital status (percentage of married residents)
- Home ownership rate
- Education (percentage of residents with a bachelors degree or higher education
- Walkability score
The scores for all seven metrics for the top 50 can be seen in this table, but for an in-depth look at the top 10 happiest small towns, go through Movoto's slideshow below.
The 10 Happiest Small Places In America By Movoto Real Estate