From 1889 to 1984, the Don Valley Brick Works supplied brick for commercial and residential construction across North America.
Structures that started out in the 1880s as the Don Valley Brick Works factory are now home to community events.
In the Young Welcome Centre, old and new are blended. A raised foreman's shed and masonry walls (completed with graffiti) were left in tact to recall the structure's warehouse origins.
The site's only new building, the Centre for Green Cities, is perched on top of an old warehouse that now houses the Young Welcome Centre.
The only new building on site is the Centre for Green Cities. The steel structure incorporates one of the existing brick buildings on site.
Inside the historic spaces, the architects left much of the original materials and detailing, including graffiti, exposed and complemented the industrial aesthetic with a palette of brick and steel.
At the Centre for Green Cities, an artful exterior steel staircase links the historic building housing the Young Welcome Centre to the new structure above. The steel is meant to complement the brick palette.